PHP Classes

After session_start(), $_SESSION['OAUTH_STATE'] is lost

Recommend this page to a friend!

PHP OAuth Library  >  All threads  >  After session_start(),...  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:After session_start(),...
Summary:Can not get previous $_SESSION['OAUTH_STATE']
Author:Tony Brown
Date:2015-07-10 06:37:08

1. After session_start(),...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Tony Brown Tony Brown - 2015-07-10 06:37:08
Thanks for your great plugin. It looks nice! Thank you!

Now I came across a problem when using your plugin in my OAuth 2.0 test:

I referred to your "login_with_XXX.php" code.

Step 1:
It can init a session_id (value = "A") and generate a "state" string (value = "B") properly, and then send "state" string to dialog page (OAuth 2.0 authentication login page).

Step 2:
After login on dialog page with username & pwd, the OAuth server redirects back to my original page ("login_with_XXX.php") , with correct "state" string "B" and new Access Code string.

Step 3:
Now the ""login_with_XXX.php" code is executed again. But in "Process() --> CheckAccessToken --> RetrieveToken() --> GetAccessToken()", it firstly checks session_id, and find it's EMPTY! Then it runs "session_start()" again, and now session_id is back and equal to previous value "A". But at this moment I find that "$_SESSION['OAUTH_STATE']" is NOT SET (here value "B" is expected).

Step 4:
And then it goes to run "GetStoredState()", and since "$_SESSION[OAUTH_STATE]" is NOT SET, it generates a new value "C" for it, so now "$_SESSION[OAUTH_STATE] = C".

Step 5:
At last it will compare the "state" value ("B"), which is in redirection URL, with "$_SESSION['OAUTH_STATE']" value "C", they are different, so fails to continue to request Access Token.

My question is that:
In step 3, when finding session_id is empty, it runs "session_start()" to resume the session, but $_SESSION[OAUTH_STATE] value is not recovered. Is this normal? Do you have any idea of how to overcome this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW: I didn't change any workflow of your demo code, and just output some logs to check variable values, and find this issue.

2. Re: After session_start(),...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2015-07-10 20:20:31 - In reply to message 1 from Tony Brown
This may be a sign that your session values may not be saved correctly.

I don't know if it is your case, but in some enviroments PHP cannot save sessions to files because the session file directory does not have the right permissions for the Web server machine user.

In that case it throws error messages to the error log files. You may want to try to enable error logging in your PHP environment and see if anything relevant appears there.

3. Re: After session_start(),...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Tony Brown Tony Brown - 2015-07-13 05:07:57 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
Hi Manuel,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. You suggestion is really helpful and I have found my failure cause is related to session saving issue. After fixing that, now the script works well :-)