PHP Classes

Does aol support still work?

Recommend this page to a friend!

PHP OAuth Library  >  All threads  >  Does aol support still work?  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Does aol support still work?
Summary:It looks like aol no longer supports oauth
Author:sootsnoot
Date:2015-05-04 04:07:20

1. Does aol support still work?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of sootsnoot sootsnoot - 2015-05-04 04:07:20
I see that oauth_configuration.json has an entry for AOL, with oauth_version 2.0.

In trying to use it, google found some aol documentation describing aol's oauth support, but it was only in terms of describing the flow. I couldn't find any site where I could register my application. Then I found this post on stack overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27505799/how-to-get-developer-id-required-to-access-aol-apis . And as far as I can tell, the answer there is correct - aol has quietly removed their oauth support infrastructure, there appears to be no way to register a new application. So I'm just curious if oauth applications previously registered, before they removed their infrastructure, continue to function correctly.

As far as I can tell, their OpenID support works okay with lightopenid, although the only attribute I can get is 'contact/email'. I specify $openid->required = array(
'contact/email',
'namePerson/friendly',
'namePerson',
'namePerson/first',
'namePerson/last')

But the only attribute returned is 'contact/email', which is good enough for my purposes (and if the user doesn't permit the email to be disclosed, I just treat it like twitter and yahoo). The openid identity string is of the form 'http://openid.aol.com/<username>', so I parse out the <username> and treat that as the name when creating the account on my site during the initial signup process - the user can always change it later.

2. Re: Does aol support still work?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2015-05-04 04:30:24 - In reply to message 1 from sootsnoot
It seems AOL supports OAuth but they are not giving application credentials to everybody.

I got application credentials to test AOL support provided by this user but that application no longer works. He did not tell how he got it.

phpclasses.org/discuss/package/7700 ...

3. Re: Does aol support still work?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of sootsnoot sootsnoot - 2015-05-04 04:42:00 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
Wow, that's interesting/arcane/weird :-).

For my purposes, I certainly don't want to have to set up any sort of special arrangement with aol to get a client id - I'm really only using Oauth essentially as a substitute for OpenID anyway as OpenID is being dropped by Google. I don't need or want any special privileges to get "sensitive" user information from these sites, I just want an identity string and if they're willing to give me an email address and name, that's nice but not essential :-)

4. Re: Does aol support still work?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2015-05-04 05:05:30 - In reply to message 3 from sootsnoot
Yes, you can use the OAuth client class, but you will need a real AOL application credentials to retrieve the user information.

I have no idea how you can get a real AOL application, nor why AOL is making things more difficult to application developers.

5. Re: Does aol support still work?   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of sootsnoot sootsnoot - 2015-05-04 05:22:18 - In reply to message 4 from Manuel Lemos
Actually, since aol still supports OpenID, I can continue to use lightopenid with them. I had intended to get rid of OpenID completely, since that seemed to be the overall trend among providers. But since aol decided to make moving to Oauth painful, I'll just continue to use OpenID.