PHP Classes

Can you estimate how many updates / correction will follow? T...

Recommend this page to a friend!

PHP OAuth Library  >  All threads  >  Can you estimate how many updates /...  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Can you estimate how many updates /...
Summary:Package rating comment
Author:Dietmar Bückart
Date:2013-04-23 14:49:45
Update:2013-04-24 09:32:21

Dietmar Bückart rated this package as follows:

Utility: Sufficient
Consistency: Not sure
Documentation: Sufficient
Examples: Sufficient

1. Can you estimate how many updates /...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Dietmar Bückart Dietmar Bückart - 2013-04-23 14:49:46
Can you estimate how many updates / correction will follow? Then I might download only the final working one. I can not remember how many times I downloaded this class. Hey, are we beta-testers for you?! Some minutes ago I downloaded latest version - now I get again a mail that there is an update. I am tiered of downloading this class. Enough is enough. After 30+ years software development I have concrete visions when to release a source code and when to keep it as "beta status under development". Ever heared of someting like testing "before releasing"....?
Sorry, but the update circus of this class makes me thick...

2. Re: Can you estimate how many updates /...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2013-04-24 08:39:47 - In reply to message 1 from Dietmar Bückart
I am not sure what exactly are you complaining.

Every release has new features, some have bug fixes.

In the latest release there were only new features. The update notices describe the new features.

If you are not interested in the new features, just do not download the new version.

Specifically the new features were provided because some users asked.

Maybe I am getting this wrong, but it is a bit hard to understand why certain people become rude when I am spending a lot of time developing and documenting the new features.

If I do not develop the features they want, they complain. If I develop the features they want, they also complain. It is hard to make people happy.

3. Re: Can you estimate how many updates /...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Dietmar Bückart Dietmar Bückart - 2013-04-24 09:13:07 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
I can feel with you, and I understand two last paragraphs of your reply.
But you should understand me as a user who has to download your class, check it, integrate it and test if everything is still running...
Doing this every some days keeps me more busy than the rest of the app.

It would be great if you combine new features and nessessary bug fixes in updates that are not so often but include more changes.

On the other hand I understand that other people want new features - and of course - bugs should be fixed as fast as possible. But this implicitely forces the user to install latest version because you never know what dependancies are touched if you download and install latest bug fix over an older running version.

If I got rude, I appology. But t here have been phases very realy every day a new or fixed version was announced. I see your class more than all other classes together in notification mails.

I guess, you would do yourself, and at least, me a big favour if you bundle your new features and check them more intense before releasing them in extended periods. Relasing something new today and adding a fix tomorrow looks like a buggy beta-status release, sorry, but that's what it looks like. Imagine Obama releasing a law today and adding changes and fixings tomorrow. What would you think about the quality of the original law...?

4. Re: Can you estimate how many updates /...   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2013-04-24 09:32:21 - In reply to message 3 from Dietmar Bückart
I do not understand why you are obliged to update a package just because a new version is released. This seems to be a rule that you decided for yourself, but it does not have to be that way.

The site send you notices of the updates that are done. You just need to read the changes and figure it it is important to update.

This last update was just a new feature. I doubt that you really needed it. If the class was working well for you, you certainly can do well with the new features.

Other than that I do not update this class as often as you claim. It happens that I get a lot of feature requests. Most of them is to have built-in support a new server.

I only add support to new servers that I do not need for my applications when I have time. When I have time I try to add support to several servers requested by different people. So I cannot update the class so fast.

Some people would like me to do it faster, but I have more important things to do and only when I have some free time I will do it.