PHP Classes

Unfair review

Recommend this page to a friend!

Delphi for PHP 2.0  >  All threads  >  Unfair review  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Unfair review
Summary:Manufacturer does not support Linux
Author:Busy Body
Date:2008-07-23 05:29:57
Update:2008-07-23 06:21:46

1. Unfair review   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Busy Body Busy Body - 2008-07-23 05:36:27
Overall your review is very good. The information you provide about common VCL / Delphi / PHP misconceptions are timely, concise and poignant.

However, it's unfair to test Delphi for PHP using an operating system that is not supported by the manufacturer. To quote CodeGear's website:

"Delphi for PHP 2.0 has the following system requirements:
• 512 MB RAM (1 GB for Microsoft® Windows Vista™)
• 200 MB free hard disk space
• CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
• SVGA or higher resolution monitor (XGA recommended)
• Intel® Pentium® III/M 1.4 GHz, or Pentium IV 1.4 GHz minimum
• Delphi for PHP 2.0 will run on the following Windows versions:
o Microsoft® Windows Vista™
o Microsoft® Windows Server® 2003 (SP1)
o Microsoft® XP Professional (SP2)
o Windows® 2000 Professional (SP4)
o Windows® 2000 Server (SP4) "

As an analogy, pretend I used Google's language translator to convert your review into Spanish. Then I complain (and poorly score) your review because of the bad grammar, spelling and untranslatable words in your review. To insult you more, I'll encourage you to work with Google's language translation team (which you have no control over) to improve their translator so your review is more correct in Spanish. That's exactly what you did to CodeGear by reviewing and complaining about their product in Linux/Wine.

2. Re: Unfair review   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-07-23 05:49:08 - In reply to message 1 from Busy Body
There seems to be a misunderstanding. Nowhere in the review it was said that the IDE was not tested under a real Windows machine.

The fact is that it was tested under Windows XP months before it was even tried under Linux with Wine.

Running Delphi for PHP 2.0 under Linux only happened due to the advances of the latest releases of Wine. Before these releases, it would not even run. Kudos to the Wine team.

CodeGear people was contacted before publishing the review to prevent publishing a review that could not be accurate due to misunderstandings. They did not consider the review unfair.

3. Re: Unfair review   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Busy Body Busy Body - 2008-07-23 06:16:49 - In reply to message 2 from Manuel Lemos
Nowhere in your review do you mention that you tested Delphi for PHP 2.0 using Windows XP.

Instead, this paragraph leads the reader to believe you tested it on a Linux system:

"I only use Linux for as my desktop, PHP development and production platforms."

Although it's nice that CodeGear didn't think the review was unfair -- I think this thread clarifies the situation.

To paraphrase my first remark: nice review.

4. Re: Unfair review   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of Manuel Lemos Manuel Lemos - 2008-07-23 06:21:46 - In reply to message 3 from Busy Body
Yes, that is true, I did not explicitly mentioned that the IDE was tried under Windows before everything else.

Despite I use only Linux as my desktop, I have dual boot desktop and notebook machines, as there are always things that only run on Windows unfortunately.

Now that the misunderstanding is clarified, feel free to post a translation of the review to Spanish if you want, as long as you do not Google Translate! ;-)